Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:06:46 +0100

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:28:36PM +0100, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> address@hidden writes:

[...]

> > I'm not much into Guile these days [...]

> Right now, you can only queue asynchronous execution from within
> Guile, but we should probably offer a way to do this from outside
> Guile.  The problem [...]

Thanks, Marius, for taking notice of this one lurker ;-)

Yes, I imagine that this is the hard part. But it might be the
really useful one, epecially for non-Guile apps onto which a
Guile interpreter gets tacked. My standard examples are Apache
or the PostgreSQL server. Those have their own signal handlers
and so on. As a module writer you get just a hook (and there
you won't be in Guile mode). So if you want to write your handlers
in Guile, you'd need some way of saying `call this when it's
safe'.

> > The implementation itself has to have this, of course.
>
> Yes, via some magic.  Might be worth it to package up this magic as
> outlines above.
>
> Anyone? :-)

Brrr. It's a while since I had a look into Guile, and I'm short on
time these days, so it might take quite a while. I would'nt mind if
someone beats me to it ;-)

Regards
-- tomás