Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:57:05 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> In principle yes, the current mechanism we're discussing for load-path
> could be extended to `guilelibdir' and `guileobjectdir'.  But
> personally I don't want to go anywhere near there just yet - it's hard
> enough trying to tie down all the details for load-path!

There were really two points in my message:

1.  Autoconf/Automake (and, consequently, the user) _must_ know about
    these three different directories, namely `guileschemedir',
    `guilelibdir' and `guileobjectdir', instead of only one directory
    (which you seem to be assuming when talking about
    `GUILE_SCHEME_DIR').

    The mechanism you proposed is _needed_ to allow Guile to play well
    with Scheme source files installed in various directories -- in
    other words, your mechanism must translate various installation-time
    values of `guileschemedir' into a suitable run-time value of
    `%load-path'.  Your proposal is alright for this.

2.  While we're at it, we might want to use your mechanism as well for
    shared objects.

(1) is really crucial I think.  (2) can be thought about later on.

Thanks,
Ludovic.