Re: Another load path idea

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Another load path idea
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:23:03 +1100

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I tend to build program foo (from CVS) into /usr/foo.

I like that too except usually a subdir of wherever I keep the source.
Nice and easy to rm -r when you're sick of it.  But I presume you, as
I, don't want a package build trying to modify /etc/profile etc to
hook itself into $PATH.  I might well add it in myself, even setup to
test a range of locations and use what exists, I like that in my
.emacs a lot too for instance.  Anyway, the main point would be that I
don't think it's the package's business to try to join itself to the
world when installed in an out-of-the-way place.