Re: ./guile-config : permission denied

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: ./guile-config : permission denied
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:42:49 -0600

Hi Neil,
In another email (perhaps in another thread), Gopi said that the usual unpack, configure, make, make install was what he did. The problem with alloca seems to be a real bug, but if so, as Kevin has said it would properly be a matter for the autoconf people, not us. I'm waiting on getting a shell account on my friend's BSD machine, and once that goes through, I will then file a bug report to autoconf.

The problem with guile-config permissions seems to have been an issue with not having the guile executable where guile-config expected it. This might be a bug, or might not. There was some confusion because Gopi was also sending questions about installing libgraph to this list, but it may be that he moved the guile executable to a different location for some reason having to do with libgraph. I will try installing guile to some PREFIX other than the default once I have that BSD shell account, and if there is a problem with guile-config or with permissions on guile, I will definitely say something about it. Anyway, Gopi's friend changed the path to guile after the sha-bang in guile-config, and all was well following.

There were two other problems Gopi was having. One was related to libgraph, not to guile. The other was resolved by installing a dependency (libtool, it seems).
Regards,
Jon

Neil Jerram wrote:
Gopi kumaran <address@hidden> writes:

when i run ./configure in guile-1.8.1 it stops by saying
checking for guile...guile-config:permission denied
configure:cannot find guile-config;is Guile installed?
wht to do?I went to /usr/local/bin(i assume that it will check in this
folder).i tried to run ./guile-config in  /usr/local/bin/guile-config folder it
says

I think you need to start from scratch and tell us exactly what you
have done to unpack and build the Guile tarball.  My impression (from
this and other emails) is that you've done something unusual.  Are you
familiar with the usual "tar zxf ..., ./configure, make, make install"
procedure, and is that what you have done?  Please post a complete
transcript, starting from unpacking the tarball.

Regards,
     Neil