On the topic of asyncs and utility as an extension language

From: dskr
Subject: On the topic of asyncs and utility as an extension language
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:51:28 -0500

Hi,

In an earlier message today, I mentioned my use of guile as an extension language. There is one new barrier to use of guile as an extension language that exists in guile 1.8 that did not exist in guile 1.6.

The new async mechanism works via a pipe. The natural thing, remanufacturing the pipe, does not happen on a call to primitive-fork. I'm of the view that an angel gets its wings each time I call fork and so my codes do this with reckless abandon.

Why fork? Lots of reasons... I use it so that I can mmap enormous files read-write with MAP_PRIVATE and fork new processes that mark up their now private copy. It is tremendously efficient for many applications.

I understand that the work to patch up the pipes may not be worthwhile in applications that are about to call exec, but this could be remedied easily by providing the expected primitive-vfork for this purpose.

Cheers,
        Dan Ridge