Re: the future of Guile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: the future of Guile
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:41:03 +0100

Hi,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> Much has been done (GEE, Guile-lib, guile-gtk, all of TTN),
> but, each has its own packaging scheme, documentation
> scheme.  None of them are released in a coordinated manner
> with the Guile releases themselves.

They don't have to be coordinated.  We may want, from time to time, to
move commonly used code e.g., from Guile-Lib, into Guile core, but we're
not going to have all possible Guile bindings into Guile core.

> Second, most non-trivial scripts require the whole of the configure,
> make, make install, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, %load-path overhead.

For pure Scheme applications or modules, there's little overhead.  You
can use Autoconf + Automake (I use it because I find it helpful and
consistent with other free software packages), but you don't have to.
You can as well just distribute and bunch of suitably laid out Scheme
files along with a `README' explaining how to use them.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.