Re: ttn-pers-scheme & ttn-do

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: ttn-pers-scheme & ttn-do
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:36:24 +0300

Quoth Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>:
> () Sebastian Tennant <address@hidden>
> () Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:08:37 +0200
>
>    What was this special exception and was it the reason for the fork?
>
> The fork was over deprecation of some libguile API elements, plus
> administrative snafu.  The special exception can be seen in some Guile
> releases in the top-level README:
>
> | The exception is that, if you link the GUILE library with other files
> | to produce an executable, this does not by itself cause the
> | resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
> | Your use of that executable is in no way restricted on account of
> | linking the GUILE library code into it.

Very interesting.  Presumably this is/was to encourage use of Guile
across the board (i.e., in non-free environments too)?

>    Good luck.  I'd be very interested to know a little more about the
>    politics e.t.c.... perhaps off-list?.. even though you describe the fork
>    as amicable.
>
> Here's my recollection of events:

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  I can't say exactly _why_
it's nice to know how the situation came about, but it is, nevertheless.

> So i see 1.4.x not really so much a fork as a long-lived non-local
> branch.  Now that there is new Guile maintainership, i think it would be
> a good idea to merge some of the good stuff from that branch into the
> trunk.

I'd say so.  As someone who wants to use Guile for scripting
database-backed websites and the like, guile-pg and guile-www are two
essential components.  Fortunately your guile-www _does_ work with
guile-1.8.

> Git supports branches much better than cvs, so there is now even
> less reason for the shutout.

I hope the maintainers are listening.  Surely it's time to let bygones
be bygones and work for the common good of Guile and all who sail in
her.

> We all cope as best we can.

Indeed we do.  Thanks for your comprehensive and informative reply.

Sebastian

--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
http://sebyte.org/eap.html