Re: srfi-88 keyword / symbol ambiguity

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: srfi-88 keyword / symbol ambiguity
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:18:25 +0100

2008/7/20 Julian Graham <address@hidden>:

> This is particularly bad because it breaks a lot of code that calls
> `use-modules' with the :prefix or :rename syntax -- from looking at some of
> the core libraries, it seems like it's pretty common to use rename-prefixes
> that end in a colon.  So, for example, the ice-9 debugger modules don't work
> after loading `(srfi srfi-88)'.

If it helps you in the short term, please feel free to look at
patching those modules so that they use a prefix that doesn't end with
a colon.  I think that should be compatible in API terms, because the
prefixed names are only used internally within the using module.

> I'm not sure yet what the fix would be -- maybe the reader should avoid
> converting a token into a postfix-style keyword if it's obvious from the
> read state that a symbol is desired (i.e., the quote character is prefixed),
> but that probably doesn't cover all the possibilities.

That sounds very tricky!  As Ludovic said, I think read options need
somehow to be less global - whether via Guile-Reader, or otherwise.

          Neil