Re: open-pipe deadlocked

From: rixed
Subject: Re: open-pipe deadlocked
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 09:30:25 +0200

-[ Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 12:18:15PM +0200, Andy Wingo ]----
> > Actually 1.8 has a serious problem when it comes to multi-threading:
> > memoization, which modifies the source code tree structure, is not
> > thread-safe.
>
> Yeah, at this point I think that you really should be using 2.0 if you
> are using threads.  Some things work in 1.8 but we really can't help
> debugging there, because 1.8 has some more serious problems that are
> already fixed in 2.0 and could cause all sorts of undefined behavior.

I already encountered the memoization bug and dealt with it by... hum...
<slow voice> delaying the starting of the thread so that the same code
is never memoized several times simultaneously </slow voice> and it
worked so far. That's why I believe this is a different problem.

But yes, we are actually transitioning to guile2.