Re: Why is guile still so slow?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Why is guile still so slow?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:56:32 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13 2011, address@hidden wrote:

[...]

>> I really hope that that's not Guile's primary goal these days (and my
>> understanding is that it is not): i wouldn't be much interested if those
>> were its goals ("orchestrator of business oriented code" sounds
>> particularly dreadful :-)).
>
> By "business oriented code" I meant "business logic", ie. the actual
> low level and specialized part of the program. For instance I do system
> programming and cannot do it in scheme (whatever the implementation),
> although scheme is perfect to control the higher levels of abstraction or
> interaction with the user.

Couldn't you use the FFI? I haven't used Guile's yet, but hooking to
inotify in Racket was a breeze...  Of course, if C-level performance is
a requirement, you'd need to switch to a CL compiler ;-)

> "business oriented code" sounds indeed dreadful. I need some vacation
> (in an English speaking country for instance). :)

Barcelona is sunny most of the year, and Wingo speaks quite idiomatic
American and Scheme :)

Cheers,
jao
--
To kill time is not murder, it's suicide. -William James (1842-1910)