Re: gtk-main and guile repl together

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: gtk-main and guile repl together
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:27:12 +0100

Hi,

On Thu 17 Nov 2011 20:43, anoglad <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a convenient way to run the gtk-main loop and the guile repl at
> the same time? I'd like to be able to create widgets interactively.

There are three options.

  * Run a special console REPL that integrates with the main loop.  See
    glib/gnome/gobject/event-repl.scm and glib/gnome/glib.scm in the
    guile-gnome-platform distribution.

  * Run a special graphical REPL with a soft port that runs the main
    loop.  See gtk/examples/repl.scm in the guile-gnome-platform
    distribution.

  * Run the normal REPL in a separate thread.  We don't make this very
    easy, currently, but it is possible to do:

http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness

http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/java-gnome/thread-safety-for-java

Cheers,

Andy