libffi not found even if installed in default path

From: Thaddee Tyl
Subject: libffi not found even if installed in default path
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:13:52 -0800 (PST)

I got the following message from `./configure`:

    checking for LIBFFI... no
    configure: error: Package requirements (libffi) were not met:

    No package 'libffi' found

I then (just in case) installed the latest libffi by hand. Its README
indicates that:

    Libffi will install under /usr/local by default.

Indeed:

    $ find /usr -name 'libffi.*'
    /usr/lib/libffi.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libffi.5.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libffi.a
    /usr/local/lib/libffi.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libffi.la
    /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libffi.pc
    /usr/local/share/info/libffi.info

However, it did not help, and the `./configure` still fails with the very
same error message.

What information can I give you to help me? What should I do to make it
work?