Re: The Web, Continuations, and All That

From: Tobias Gerdin
Subject: Re: The Web, Continuations, and All That
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 20:17:05 +0100

2012/1/23 Andy Wingo <address@hidden>:
> On Sun 22 Jan 2012 21:46, Ian Price <address@hidden> writes:
>> It's always nice to see someone playing with continuations.
>
> Yes, that was beautiful.  I'm happy you were able to get something
> going, Tobias.  Did you ever run into problems with non-resumable
> continuations?

At times I was scratching my head and wondering what was going on but
if you mean continuations that wouldn't resume due to a bug I do not
think so.

>> It would be if someone(nudge nudge) were to take the effort to make
>> one of these experiments practical, since a guile web framework seems
>> to be a common request.
>
> Indeed!

What I think would be nice would be to add a (web server control)
library making the most common web programming continuation operators
available for use in any framework built on top of (web server). This
would probably require installing a prompt in `run-server' somewhere,
(but that is not too expensive I think in the case it's never used?)
and having some policy on how the continuation table is to be managed.
One simple way would be to make use of a weak hashtable, although that
may not be ideal in all situations.

-Tobias