Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:40:28 +0300

> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:33:51 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> > Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:56:53 -0400
> >
> > Remember that Guile is a library, not just an executable.  So argv[0]
> > could point to any arbitrary executable that's linked with libguile.
>
> We can provide an API for passing to the library the root of its
> installation.

And btw, how is this different from GCC looking for its libgcc or GDB
looking for its Python scripts?

An executable linked with libguile will either be in /usr/bin or
somesuch, i.e. close to /usr/lib where libguile lives; or it will be
in some random place under the user's home directory, in which case
either libguile is in the default place, or it is near the binary.
The latter case is precisely the additional feature where looking for
the library nearby will be a benefit.