Re: Emacsy: Context Sensitive Commands Design Question

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Emacsy: Context Sensitive Commands Design Question
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:32:02 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Shane Celis <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 6. Tag commands as special procedures perhaps by adding something to
>> their procedure properties.  Implement a "command?" procedure.  Export
>> commands and procedures to the same module. Then just pluck the
>> commands out of all the procedures by using command?.
>
> This is closest to what Emacs does, and probably the best solution, IMO.  See
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Interactive-Call.html>
> which describes the 'commandp' predicate, whose definition is in eval.c.

I concur (Thien-Thi’s message shows how this can be achieved.)

So it’s a matter of extending Emacsy’s ‘define-interactive’ to add an
object property.

Then you could have a ‘fold-commands’ procedure that traverses all the
bindings of all the available modules (or a subset thereof), and
iterates on those that match ‘command?’.

Ludo’.