guile+iconv fails on windows

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: guile+iconv fails on windows
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 23:35:33 +0100

Hi,
perhaps you'd be able to provide me with a quick hint.
I've finally managed to compile my framework SLAYER
to run on Windows. I used the latest snapshot,
guile-2.0.9.98-36c40-dirty, and compiled it without threads
(I had to pass "ac_cv_func__set_invalid_parameter_handler=no"
to configure, because otherwise I had an error with msvcrt.dll)

I'm using unistring and iconv shipped with MinGW/MSYS.

The problem occurs when guile tries to compile a module.
I get the following error:

;;; compiling .\extra\common.scm
;;; compiling c:/guile2/share/guile/2.0\system\vm\frame.scm
Backtrace:
In unknown file:
   ?: 1 ;;; compiling system\vm\frame.scm
Exception thrown while printing backtrace:
ERROR: In procedure open_iconv_descriptors: invalid or unknown character encoding "utf8"

Do you know what could be the reason and solution?
Should I rebuild libiconv and then relink guile against it?
Would that work? Or is there any quick workaround?

Best regards,
M.