Re: Filename encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Filename encoding
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:02:59 +0200

> From: Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:14:39 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> My hope is that this will become less of an issue over time, as systems
> increasingly standardize on UTF-8.  I see no other good solution.
>
> Thoughts?

MS-Windows filesystems will not standardize on UTF-8 in any observable
future.

Likewise, in some Far Eastern cultures, non-UTF encoding are still
widely used.

An "other good solution" is to decode file names into Unicode based
representation (which can be UTF-8) for internal handling, then encode
them back into the locale-specific encoding when passing them to
system calls and library functions that receive file names.  This is
what Emacs does.