Re: Article about GNU Guile and GOOPS

From: Jan Wedekind
Subject: Re: Article about GNU Guile and GOOPS
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:52:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Jan Wedekind <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
  I have written a small blog post about object-oriented programming with
GNU Guile and GOOPS [1]. Having used the Ruby programming language for some
time, I am quite spoiled when it comes to objects ;)
  It took me a while to figure out defining constructors and dynamic
instantiation of OO primitives. I hope it'll save somebody else some time
one day.
  Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I liked this as a introductory article, but you should really fix the
bug: "The same program would be much less verbose if Scheme was a
dynamically typed language:"

Scheme *is* a dynamically typed language. It's hard to say what you
really mean here, because the ability to re-use the same operator can
be done in both dynamically and statically typed languages (see for
instance Haskell, or Python). The way this is usually done is through
"interfaces," or in Haskell "type classes," which are similar in
functionality to "interfaces," but completely different from a
theoretical stand point.

In the Lisp world, this sort of thing can be done using generic
methods, or in the case of Clojure, something called "protocols" which
again is pretty much just reification of an object with a specific
interface.

Hi,
I fixed the mistake in the article. Thanks for letting me know.

Jan