Re: initial guix setup: unable to fork -- any recipe for the impatient?

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: initial guix setup: unable to fork -- any recipe for the impatient?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 09:48:15 -0400

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to get going with guix and again I was frustrated.  Is there
> a tutorial or recipe that helps newbies to get started?
>
> [Thinking that guix is a guile script, it very much surprised me that
>  I need to bootstrap, configure and make.]

Guile source files are compiled to .go files, though they don't have to
be.  Things will just be slower to load initially.  In addition to
Scheme files, there are C++ source files to compile from the upstream
Nix project, so make is absolutely needed.  The configure phase is
needed not only to check for dependencies, but to pre-process *.in files
like guix/config.scm.in.

> Anyway, below is what I tried

[ Snipped long shell output ]

It looks like you've skipped over some of the installation steps
described in the manual.  It looks like you have some permission errors,
among other things.  See the "Installation" section for the details.

I also noticed that you resorted to "make install" to try to get things
to work.  You can start the guix daemon without installing by running
something like:

  sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guix-builder

The above snippet assumes that you have already set up build users under
the group 'guix-builder'.

Hope this helps!

--
David Thompson