Re: [potluck dish] Compiler for the Joy language

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [potluck dish] Compiler for the Joy language
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:10:12 +0100

Hey!

Eric Bavier <address@hidden> skribis:

> And happy birthday Guile!

\o/

> $ guile
> scheme@(guile-user)> ,L joy
> joy@(guile-user)> "<path-to>/base.joy" include .
> joy@(guile-user)> 2 3 + 4 1 .
> $1 = (1 4 5)
> joy@(guile-user)> DEFINE foo == 2 3 + 4 1 ; bar == + + .
> joy@(guile-user)> foo bar .
> $2 = (10)
> joy@(guile-user)> [1 2 3 4 5 6] [fact] map .
> $3 = ((1 2 6 24 120 720))
> joy@(guile-user)> [1 2 3 4 5 6] [fact] map sum .
> $4 = (873)
> joy@(guile-user)> [1 2 3 4 5 6] [fact 2 /] map .
> $5 = ((0 1 3 12 60 360))

That’s fun!

> My interest in Joy came from a search to find a small language whose
> minimal base could be implemented as an easily-audited assembly
> interpreter, but which has higher-level language capabilities.

Interesting.  Was this in the context of destroy bootstrapping or
something else?

I’d suggest keeping it separate, at least for now.  All it takes is to
use the (language …) name space and then there’s no difference between
an in-tree and an out-of-tree language.

Then you can make a formal release and add a Guix package!  :-)

Thanks for the dish!

Ludo’.