Re: Core Guile bindings

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Core Guile bindings
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:31:22 +0200

Panicz Maciej Godek writes:

>> What would be possible without breaking backwards compatibility is
>> moving them ino a module which is imported by default, with a way to
>> suppress those default imports.
>>
>> I think it is a very nice idea. Guile could install with "configurations",
> and the default configuration would just load the modules to make all
> currently global bindings available, but users could tweak their
> configurations in their ~/.guile files, supressing that default
> configuration. Or they could change it system-wide, provided that there are
> no dependencies in current guile scripts that could break anything.

To some degree this is already the case for interactive mode (so this is
not really my idea, just an application of what’s already there).

We might need an option to suppress loading the default modules, though,
similar to the -Q in emacs (which I use to make it start faster when I
just need basic editing capabilities).

However I think removing things from the existing default behaviour
should never be automatic, otherwise people won’t be able to rely on the
Guile on another system behaving as expected.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein