Re: Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 16:55:15 +0200

Mark H Weaver writes:

>> Does this mean Guile is not bootstrappable from source only?
>
> That's correct.  psyntax-pp.scm is not source code, and it is needed to
> bootstrap Guile.

I'm facing the same problem with Mes.  I have an implemenation of
syntax-rules that is just about 200 lines of define-macro source code,
but not syntax case.

The only useful thing I found was Andre van Tonder's syntax-case.  I
tried to geth it up and running, which just might be a way (it's not
clear to me from the documentation or code and it seems to have been a
lone effort that was abandoned -- could not find any references or
follow-ups) to have syntax-case without psyntax.  I gave up for now.

> Having said this, I agree that it would be better if psyntax.scm were
> written in such a way that it could be bootstrapped without the use of
> itself.  Maybe some day we'll rewrite it to make it so.

That could be essential to our full source bootstrapping efforts so I'm
very much interested!

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com