Re: Guile bugs

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Subject: Re: Guile bugs
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 20:12:50 +0300

address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer"):

> Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:
>> I wonder, though, if doing that is fast enough in Scheme code.
>
> Since Guile supports syntax-case, the "macro API" of the library can
> be used so the library itself adds absolutely zero runtime overhead.

No doubt it's as fast as Guile can be for the API. However, you'll need
to have the encoding/decoding machinery ultimately executed in Scheme.

Compare this with Python's struct.(un)pack(), for example, which lets
the "machine code" handle the bulk encoding/decoding of a record.

Instead of binary, one could use S-expressions, of course, but then
you'd need to know the maximum length of the encoding up front.

Heck, maybe your bulk RAM store should be implemented with straight
non-GC malloc...

Marko