Re: installing older guile version

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: installing older guile version
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:53:46 +0100

Ralf Mattes <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:00:11PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> > So  I got me an older version guile-1.7.91 (as I couldn't find any
>> > 1.8, this was the nearest to <1.9.0).
>>
>> 1.8.8 is the latest.  Current compilers and Texinfo might require a few
>> patches.  I think I remember that someone on this list (Thien-Thi
>> Nguyen?) maintained his own 1.8 version: it may be that joining forces
>> with him while Guile-2.x remains unsuitable for use with LilyPond is a
>> good idea.
>

> After yet another guile-fight to get lilypond running on my Debian
> Testing systems without breaking half of the system I'm convinced that
> it would be way more productive to port Lilypond to S7 Scheme
> (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/s7.html) whose C interface,
> IIRC is pretty much Guile-compatible (renaming scm_ to s7_).
>
> Juat  0.02$ from a former guile user ...

LilyPond is so much tied into Guile regarding API and types that it
would likely make more sense to just maintain one's own fork if the
Guile-2 porting efforts don't lead to convincing results.

Of course, a comparison of computational costs for other Scheme
implementations would be interesting.  I think that one of the cost
factors of Guile-2 might be that there is no cheap way to get anything
but Latin-1 strings passed through its ABI: everything else incurs
conversion costs.

--
David Kastrup