Re: Website translations with Haunt

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Website translations with Haunt
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:54:15 +0100

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> Christopher Lemmer Webber transcribed 1.4K bytes:
>> pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) writes:
>>
>> > I want to ask for your thoughts on my new solution since translations
>> > are probably important to many Haunt users.  In particular, I believe
>> > there was some discussion on Website translation on the Guile or Guix
>> > lists as well.
>>
>> And not just important to Haunt... many sxml using projects!
>
> What's the difference (except for the visible syntax/writing) between
> SXML and XML? When I've looked into translations not just prep came to
> my mind but XML has native translation support - just no one wants to
> work with plain XML when it can be avoided ;)

I would not call this “native translation support”.  There is a
specification for tags and XPath rules that extract text from XML
documents.

Here’s an example relating to text segmentation:

   https://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevSeg

This doesn’t help us much, though.  It is an example of a rule set to
extract strings in a way that is sensible for a translator.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net