Re: Beginner questions

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Beginner questions
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:27:19 -0400

Hi,

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to learn more scheme and I would like to make a small CLI
> program that runs in the terminal and prompts the user for input and
> evaluates it.

This sounds like a description of Guile's REPL itself.  Are you looking
to implement your own simple REPL for educational purposes?

> Is that possible with guile? In the REPL?

Yes and yes.

> Can someone point me in the right direction for succeding with that?

Here are some relevant sections of the Guile manual to get started:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Scripting-Examples.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Read_002fLoad_002fEval_002fCompile.html
  https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Line_002fDelimited.html
  https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Strings.html

The first link gives several small examples of Guile scripts.  The
second documents procedures to read, evaluate, and print S-expressions,
and in particular the 'read', 'eval', and 'write' procedures, which are
the three main components of a REPL.  The third link documents
procedures to read a single line of input as a string, and the fourth
documents the string operations.

Would you like to start by looking over these sections of the manual,
and then asking more questions as they arise?

      Mark