Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:19:44 +0800

Hello Mark,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I took another look at the page you linked to. The issue is, that I
>>> would like to try Guix package manager to install GNUTLS + Guile
>>> bindings, but Guix itself has the requirement of GNUTLS + Guile
>>> bindings. See:
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Requirements.html#Requirements
>>>
>>> So I guess I would need to somehow get GNUTLS and Guile bindings working
>>> before getting Guix and then when I have Guix, I can probably somehow
>>> link to the Guix installed GNUTLS and Guile bindings.
>>>
>>> Now I don't know where I would get the Guile bindings from. Are they
>>> included in the releases on https://gnutls.org/ ?
>>>
>> As Mark has pointed out, if you use the binary installation of guix,
>> then you can install gnutls using guix. However, I prefer to build guix
>> from source. Therefore, I use the standard "configure, make, make
>> install" method with appropriate CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS
>> (I include some hardending flags[0][1]):
>>
>>   ./configure --with-included-libtasn1 --with-included-unistring
>> --with-guile-site-dir=/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.2
>>   make
>>   make check
>>   make install
>>
>> The above works in Debian. Apart from it, you also have to build
>> scheme-bytestructure, guile-git and guile-sqlite3 from source using the
>> same method. Besides, it is important to keep gnutls up to date (since
>> it is a piece of security-sensitive software).
>
> Interesting.  I haven't tried building Guix from source on Debian in a
> few years, but it's not clear to me how your suggestion above addresses
> the original problem that Zelphir mentioned, namely that Guix requires
> the Guile bindings for GnuTLS, which are not included in Debian.  I
> don't see any mention of building those bindings above.  Am I missing
> something?

Maybe what I wrote is not clear. What I mean is that since Debian build
of gnutls does not include the guile bindings, we have to build gnutls
from the source tarball ourselves.

The flag "--with-guile-site-dir=/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.2"
instructs the build script to install the guile bindings into