Re: Matrix or array operations library

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Matrix or array operations library
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 06:38:45 -0800

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 06:20:10AM -0800, Matt Wette wrote:
> > (Q1) Can you explain what the advantage of the method you linked to is,
> > in comparison to doing something like
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Dynamic-FFI.html ?
>
> The advantage of the FFI Helper is time.  It takes minutes to generate
> a ffi-module and seconds to compile to Guile Scheme.  It takes
> significantly more time to code by hand.  While coding by hand gets you
> something that is probably more palatable, using the FH can cover more
> ground.

As someone who has spent a lot of time coding bindings by hand, I can
suggest that one should always start with a tool like ffi-helper or
SWIG and then patch over any rough spots in scheme.  Unfortunately, some
C libraries are very uncooperative and do require C bindings, but I think
for most, ffi-helper and then a scheme library that cleans up the bindings
is the way to begin.

-Mike