Re: R7RS On Guile

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: R7RS On Guile
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 23:24:22 +0200

Le mer. 24 avr. 2019 à 21:57, Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden>
a écrit :

> Hi Amirouche!

Thanks for you interest.

> I just looked at the source hut thingy. I do not really understand where
> to go from there.
>
> I see the to-do list: https://todo.sr.ht/~amz3/guile-r7rs
>
> On each item there is already a name before the chat icon in the table.

But I guess that is only the creator of the to-do list item (you?)?

Yes. According to the html that column with the name is the name of
submitter.

> I click on an item, lets say "(scheme repl)". Then I get to this page:
> https://todo.sr.ht/~amz3/guile-r7rs/41

Those are comments, I did quickly add pointers to existing work.

> There I see a link to a PDF and a GitLab project
> https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/ .

Akku-r7rs is project build for akku package manager <http://akkuscm.org/>.
It provides R7RS-small.
to akku powered project.

However, the linked project seems to not be specific to any to-do list
> item. No matter what item I check, it always leads me to this akku
> thingy. Does that mean, that it is already implemented somewhere in the
> akku?

Yes, that particular item 41 about the repl is implemented in:

   https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/blob/master/scheme/repl.sls

For some reason. It leads to:

  https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/blob/master/compat.guile.sls#L12

As you can see it only export (rnrs) environment.

> Should it not be marked as closed on the to-do list then?

I don't re-use all of akku r7rs. guile-r7rs does not rely on:

  https://github.com/weinholt/laesare

For the time being at least.

Actually, I was under the impression that it required much more
work than simply re-export rnrs environement. See:

  https://git.sr.ht/~amz3/guile-r7rs/tree/master/scheme/repl.scm

I will fix it.

And how does that source hut thing work? Do I create a new repository on
> GitLab and simply start implementing things according to what the PDF
> defines as the standard?

Forget about what is R7RS-small pdf because I mostly have done it.
Only documentation is missing for those and maybe some tests for
new behaviors defined in (scheme base).

> I would like to see example code for other things R7RS to see if I

A good example is what Linus Björnstam did in another thread called
bit fiddling. The Guile repository is at:

   https://bitbucket.org/bjoli/guile-srfi-151/src/default/

can understand anything and see, if I feel capable of contributing

anything of value, or if it is above my level.

I think the easiest are the one in the section "red edition" and "tangerine
edition" among them there (scheme list) which guile's (srfi srfi-1) there
is
also (scheme box) guile has it as (srfi srfi-111) and (scheme ephemeron)
I don't know about that.

*To my mind, it is very repetitive work, but I learned a few things along*
*the way, like the case-lambda syntax.*

By the way, on ward I will mark those that are in-progress with an wip
label in source hut, see:

   https://todo.sr.ht/~amz3/guile-r7rs?search=label:%22work-in-progress%22

Also, there is tab called "label" that allows to filter by label for
instance:

https://todo.sr.ht/~amz3/guile-r7rs?page=2&search=label:%22help%20wanted%22

One that could become popular is (scheme regex) based on SRFI-115:

   https://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-115/

Avoid (scheme show) as it is in the process of being re-specified and
re-implemented.

Sorry for all the questions! I have not used source hut before.

No problem.