Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 204, Issue 2

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 204, Issue 2
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 14:33:35 -0500

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:52 PM Aleix Conchillo FlaquƩ <address@hidden>
wrote:

If at some point I decide to switch to the MIT license

Dual licensing is also a possibility, so that users who prefer the GPLv3
license would still have it.

> I assume the projects that currently use guile-json would still be able to
> use it (probably renamed to some SRFI number)

In R6RS and R7RS systems, the same library can appear under two different
names very easily.

> Of course they would need to be ported, which would probably be a bit
> painful if the SRFI API diverges too much from guile-json.

One thing that attracted me to guile-json is that it provides both a parser
and a printer, and has very few dependencies and those are of a portable
sort.  Furthermore, its internal representation of JSON does not have any
corner cases except using #nil (which is not portable off Guile) instead of
'null, something that is trivially changeable.

> I'm also surprised there hasn't been any other Scheme implementations that
> hasn't made an SRFI for JSON, I'm sure all of them have their own
> implementations. May be SRFIs are not a huge priority?

It's not surprising that most Scheme implementers are considered with their
Scheme rather than all of Scheme.  Improving the state of the art for all
of Scheme, however, is my particular task.  As such, I will beg or borrow
(but not steal) whatever I can.

> So, for now, I think I will keep things as is unless the Guile community
> and guile-json users tell me to switch or do something different.

Understood.  You can disregard the issue that I filed at Github.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
With techies, I've generally found
If your arguments lose the first round
Make it rhyme, make it scan / Then you generally can
Make the same stupid point seem profound!           --Jonathan Robie