Re: Nyacc and guile-nearly-3.0 (progress report)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Nyacc and guile-nearly-3.0 (progress report)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 10:31:13 +0100

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 10:45:23PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 06:28:53AM -0800, Matt Wette wrote:
> > Look at etc/README.  Maybe edit etc/configure.ac and rerun as in the README.
>
> Hm. Same confusion. Adding 3.0 to GUILE_PKG, like so:
>
>   GUILE_PKG([3.0 2.2 2.0])
>
> yields, at configure time:

[...]

>   checking for Guile version >= 3.0... configure: error: Guile 3.0 required,
> but 2.9.5 found
>
> Inserting 2.9.5 in configure.ac's GUILE_PKG, like so:
>
>   GUILE_PKG([2.9.5 2.2 2.0])
>
> yields, again at configure time:

[...]

>   configure: error: found development files for Guile 2.9.5, but
> /usr/local/bin/guile has effective version 3.0

To complement that, here what "my" Guile says:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ guile
  GNU Guile 2.9.5
  Copyright (C) 1995-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
  This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

  Enter `,help' for help.
  scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
  $1 = "2.9.5"
  scheme@(guile-user)> (effective-version)
  $2 = "3.0"
  scheme@(guile-user)> (major-version)
  $3 = "2"
  scheme@(guile-user)> (minor-version)
  $4 = "9"
  scheme@(guile-user)> (micro-version)
  $5 = "5"

This is compiled off git, specifically:

  a12e862be (HEAD -> master, tag: v2.9.5, origin/master, origin/HEAD) GNU Guile
2.9.5.

Not very surprising, so far. Version is 2.9.5, "effective version" is
3.0.

As seen from my corner of reality, nyacc's configury can't cope with
the fact that Guile's version and effective version are different.

Now on your side, Mark, configury seems to get past that point (and
you run into "real" stuff, like the new shiny Guile compiler doing
"too much" at compile time -- that kind of issues one might expect).

Cheers
-- tomás