Re: A licence for an ‘awesome list’ (was: Starting a GNU Guile awesome l

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: A licence for an ‘awesome list’ (was: Starting a GNU Guile awesome list)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 12:18:23 +0300

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:
>>> While the list is not CC0, I meant to put it under "GNU Free Documentation
>>> License v1.3", which I think should be appropriate (Is it not?) and free as
>>> in freedom. Good that you hint at the license, because I thought it had a
>>> license already.
>> GFDL isn’t considered as free by the debian standards, because it can have
>> invariant sections. CC by-sa might be a good fit, since it is compatible
>> with GPLv3 and wikipedia at the same time.
>
> I just read multiple articles about GFDL and CC0 and still don't know what
> the better choice is for the list.

Sometimes itʼs better to read a text itself than multiple texts about text. ;-)
 As least FSF have always tried to keep their licences in English, not legalese.

Doing it, you would find out right away, than GNU FDL is a licence for
“manuals, textbooks, or other functional and useful documents”; and most of it
is about things like ‘Front Cover’, ‘Back Cover’, ‘Title Page’, ‘Dedications’,
‘Endorsements’, etc, and what one have to do when printing 101+ copies.

What is not written in it, though, is the fact itʼs _not_ compatible with any
version of GNU GPL.

Quoth <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC0> (emphasis mine):
| A work released under CC0 is dedicated to the public domain to the fullest
extent permitted by law. If that is not possible for any reason, CC0 also
provides a *lax, permissive* license as a fallback. Both public domain works
and the lax license provided by CC0 are compatible with the GNU GPL.

| If you want to release your non-software work to the public domain, we
recommend you use CC0.

Besides being GPL-compatible, itʼs FDL-compatible as well, while CC BY-SA is
not.