Re: build system for pure Guile library (was Re: Help making a GNU Guix

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: build system for pure Guile library (was Re: Help making a GNU Guix package for pure GNU Guile library)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:16:52 +0100

This may be short sighted or uninformed, but generally I don't know, why
I would build anything, except for running it. If I am not confused
about the terminology, then I would say a pure Guile library is built,
when I run the Guile program that makes use of the library. Perhaps also
before that, so that the program starts up quickly, when run the first
time. That is, if it is still only in source code form and has not been
compiled before. Perhaps that is a reason for "building"?

I did not really distinguish building and packaging before asking the
original questions on the mailing list, because I assumed, that I would
have to go through the whole autotools stuff, to actually make a Guix
package, just like it is done in the guile-haunt repository.

Apparently it is not the case, that I need to go through the autotools
stuff for a pure Guile library, if I can get the approach from the Guix
cookbook working, which I however, have not yet managed to do.

I don't know what other use-cases there are for building, except for
running the code. Perhaps distributing with something like Debian
packages? I've never packaged a software in a Debian package either. The
whole packaging is still sort of new territory and I would like to keep
it very simple.

If I had my library as a Guix package, it would also simplify my own
repositories, because I could simply write the name in the manifest for
the environment and would not need to clone it as a git submodule to get
my code working, which relies on the library.

However, if anyone told me a good reason to also use autotools to manage
a build process of my code, and I can get it working and understand how
to do it, then why not.

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl