Re: Syntax locations are ambiguous: can we track source 'offset' and 'le

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Syntax locations are ambiguous: can we track source 'offset' and 'length'?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 14:05:59 +0200

Hi Vivien,

Vivien Kraus via General Guile related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org>
skribis:

> I am trying to use the guile reader to read scheme comments, in
> addition to the syntax elements. I know with syntax-source where a
> syntax object starts, and I can know where it ends by using a spying
> soft port and re-reading it. However, the #\return ambiguity makes all
> my efforts pointless.

As you know, ‘read-syntax’ appeared in 3.0.7, so it’s brand new and we
could certainly extend (ice-9 read) with more features, including
reading comments.

In the meantime, I needed the ability to read comments in Guix,
including with Guile < 3.0.7, so I hacked up this thing:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/style.scm?h=core-updates&id=8419221620191d2988c22f6e7811d9ce1e0837bf#n50

It can read and write while preserving comments.

Again, we could/should probably integrate that functionality in (ice-9
read) eventually, it shouldn’t be too hard.

Thanks,
Ludo’.