guix-devel

Re: Online hackathon ?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Online hackathon ?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:35:20 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:53:53PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The second thing is GNU packages.  Some of the trickier but more
>> interesting include TeXmacs, Octave, and R, for instance.
>
> Octave requires gfortran. How can this be activated in our gcc used for
> building packages?

I’d be in favor or creating a separate package derived from gcc that has
Fortran enabled:

  (define-public gfortran
    (package (inherit gcc-4.8)
      (name "gfortran")
      (arguments
        ;; something that does --enable-languages=fortran
        )))

For code that fiddles with --enable-languages, see the definition of
‘gcc-boot0’ in base.scm.

Probably this should be factorized and made available in a nicer way:

  (define (gcc #:key (languages '("c" "c++")))
    "Return a GCC with the given LANGUAGES..."
    (package ...
       ...))

HTH,
Ludo’.