guix-devel

Re: The new patch method and mit-krb5

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The new patch method and mit-krb5
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 14:31:21 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

>> What we could do is to add a ‘snippet’ field in <origin> where users
>> could provide an expression to use as the patch phase.
>
> How about adding a 'snippet' field to <origin> where users could provide
> an expression to use as the _unpack_ phase?  That's really what we need
> here, and it would be nice to support things other than 'tar'.

Currently the ‘unpack’ phase is done by the build system.  We could
imagine feeding the build system with a directory instead of a tarball,
and thus handling the unpacking in an intermediate derivation.

However that would make things more complex (esp. during bootstrapping),
and I’m not sure it’s really needed.

Anyway, if we do find that it’s really needed in the future, we can
revisit that (after 0.5, that is ;-)).

Ludo’.