guix-devel

Re: What for 0.5?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What for 0.5?
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 14:04:10 +0100

Cyril Roelandt <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 11/03/2013 11:01 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>    • More packages, ideally in the GUI/desktop area (you can help! :-)).
>
> Where are we exactly with GNOME ? Last time I checked, I could not use
> evince, nor eog (that I still have to push...). It would be nice to
> find out how to get those to work, so we can truly say we have parts
> of a DE working :p

Exactly, thanks for volunteering!  :-)

For the record, the problem was described at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-10/msg00028.html>.

The envisioned solutions are:

  • Adding support for “profile hooks”, and use that (may have to wait
    until after 0.5.)

  • Use a hack like that of Nixpkgs, which systematically copies and
    rebuilds (with glib-compile-schemas) the “standard” schemas: see
    ‘doCompileSchemas’ at

<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/gsettings-desktop-schemas/default.nix>
    and its use at

<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/evince/default.nix>.

The latter seems reasonable, and fairly easy to do.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.