guix-devel

Re: gnu : add GNU Mig

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: gnu : add GNU Mig
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:05:41 +0100

Manolis Ragkousis <address@hidden> skribis:

> My second patch for adding GNU Mig. :-D

Nice!  A couple of comments:

> +(define-public gnumig
> +  (package
> +    (name "gnumig")

The variable and package name should be ‘mig’ (‘gnumach’ is one of the
exceptions to the rule.)

> +    (arguments
> +    `(#:configure-flags '("TARGET_CPPFLAGS=-I /include"
> "--build=i686-pc-gnu")

Note that the backtick should be aligned with the ‘a’ of ‘arguments’.
If you use Emacs, pass the expression through M-x indent-region.

> +      #:phases (alist-delete
> +                'build
> +                %standard-phases)

What does it do if it doesn’t build anything?  :-)
That seems wrong to me.

> +    (synopsis "GNU MIG, the Mach interface generator")
> +    (description
> +     "GNU MIG is the GNU distribution of the Mach 3.0 interface generator
> MIG, as maintained by the GNU Hurd developers for the GNU project.
> +You need this tool to compile the GNU Mach and GNU Hurd distributions, and
> to compile the GNU C library for the Hurd. Also, you will need it
> +for other software in the GNU system that uses Mach-based inter-process
> communication.")

Please wrap lines to ~75 characters.

Also, for GNU software, we use the “official” synopsis and description.
You can run ‘make sync-descriptions’ to obtain the right for MiG.

Thanks,
Ludo’.