guix-devel

Proposal: prefetch tarballs in a batch

From: Nikita Karetnikov
Subject: Proposal: prefetch tarballs in a batch
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 03:25:47 +0400

By default, Guix fetches source tarballs on demand.  You download a
tarball, configure and install, move to the next one, and so on.  But it
may be useful to fetch all the prerequisites before building.

For instance, you travel frequently and don’t usually have Internet
access.  So it’d be nice to do something like ‘guix package
–install={foo,bar,baz}’ at home, run ‘pm-hibernate’ at some point, hop
on a train, and continue building if the sources got downloaded.

Actaully, the last part made me realize that it may be better to have a
separate script for downloading.  After all, we’d like to ensure that
the tarballs were fetched, or the train ride would be boring.  On IRC,
Ludo suggested to add a new option to ‘guix build’, how hard would it
be?