guix-devel

Re: G expressions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: G expressions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:43:16 +0200

Hello!

I’ve been experimenting with gexps in all the contexts with it seemed
“obviously” useful and in some other places under gnu/{system,services}
(see the commits that say “Rewrite using gexps” in wip-gexp.)

It’s pretty cool: these patches remove ~200 lines (more than 5% of the
code in those directories!), and the resulting code is much more
readable IMO, and less error-prone.

For instance, the ‘inputs’ field of service definitions (info "(guix)
Defining Services") is no longer needed; instead we just use a gexp for
the start and stop expressions, and that carries all the necessary
dependency info.

I’ll write documentation and merge it real soon now.

Ludo’.