guix-devel

Re: Ruby install

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Ruby install
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:57:15 +0200

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:36:44PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> I have a working Ruby installation at
> >>

> >> https://gitorious.org/guix/pjotrps-guix/source/61d21fad72d49cbbf0135b5ac7362bb0f64167fa:gnu/packages/ruby.scm
> >>
> >> This is my first GUIX package (I have written Nix packages before), so
> >> please have a look.
> >
> > Overall looks good to me!  A couple of comments:
>
> Did you have a chance to look at it?

I am still in bootstrap mode on an aging CenOS6 compute cluster, so I
am not in package writing mode. I need to be able to install Nix/Guix
without root. I work in short stretches on the problem (I wish it
was easier! I tried bootstrapping Guix, but failed).

At this point I got Nix 1.6.1 working with this script
https://github.com/pjotrp/nix-no-root/blob/master/scripts/nix-bootstrap-home.sh,
which is derived from the Nix wiki.

Now, I need to patch Nix to work with PAM/LDAP (that fix is in 1.7,
but that does source tree does not compile with my script, I tried
that yesterday), next I need to upgrade the Guix package in Nix (it is
at 0.3) and then I can continue playing with packages.

The Ruby package needs work too because we need a sane way to handle
gems. I need to understand the way Nix does it and what Guix does with
Python. The way it is done now in Nix looks fairly complex. I don't
think we want automated gem processing.

Pj.