guix-devel

Re: Guix and The OS name?

From: Quiliro Ordóñez Baca
Subject: Re: Guix and The OS name?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 03:51:56 -0500

El mar 01 jul 2014 03:30:07 ECT, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be
>> named "GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it
>> that Guix itself is the GNU system...?
>
> GNU Guix is the package manager of the GNU system.  The GNU system is
> the GNU/{Linux,Hurd} distribution that uses Guix as its package manager,
> dmd as its init system, the GNU libc, etc.
>
> So the distribution is called “the GNU system”, or “GNU”.
>
> Easy, no?  :-)

Not so much.

I thought Blag, Dragora, Dynebolic, gNewSense, Musix, Parabola,
Trisquel and Ututo were distros of the GNU operating system. But you
say that the GNU operating system has Guix. Those distros do not have
Guix. What would they be in relation to GNU then? ¿Not GNU (NG)?

Thank you for the clarification.
--
Saludos libres,
Quiliro Ordóñez