guix-devel

Connecting to WPA wireless networks with standalone Guix

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Connecting to WPA wireless networks with standalone Guix
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 01:41:00 -0400

Hello Guix!

I've been experimenting with a standalone Guix installation on my
Gluglug ThinkPad X60, but was facing unhelpful error messages when
trying to connect to wireless networks.

At least for my home network, it turns out that the 'ccm' and 'ctr'
kernel modules must be loaded in order for wpa_supplicant to
successfully perform its 4-way handshake.

I notice that the Debian stock kernel configuration also makes these
modules, and yet somehow Debian's wpa_supplicant is able to connect to
my home network without those modules being loaded -- or at least lsmod
doesn't show them after successfully connecting to the wireless network.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

     Mark