guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:09:20 +0200

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

> Kernel in dmesg identifies the device like /dev/sdf, doing
> mknod /dev/sdf b 8 80; mknod /dev/sdf1 b 8 81; mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt
> solves the problem. So definitely the drive is at sdf. It looks to me
> like there is some built in limit in udev for number of "scsi" devices
> in this case or something.

Hmm, I have no idea.  We’re using a relatively old version of udev,
maybe that will be solved when upgrading.

>>> as there is only 1GB of RAM and it seems the install fetches too much
>>> packages into ramdisk. Why is it not using the target file system
>>> already?
>>
>> Hmm, it’s actually initially populating the local store, on the RAM
>> disk, right.  I agree that’s a problem we should address.
>>
>> However, most stuff are already in the store, unless the configuration
>> being built uses many more packages, or use Xorg and related stuff.  Is
>> it what’s happening?
>
> The config.scm is as sugessted (just hostname and device modified):

Hmm, OK.  I’m surprised that this requires downloading more than 1GiB of
stuff.

I’m looking at a fix, but that’s not as simple as I would have liked.

> Nothing special. I tried to bind mount the /gnu to a target drive, the
> download went OK (cca 1.4G) but then led to different kind of failure.

I’d be interested in knowing about that one as well.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.