guix-devel

Re: guix.el: Key bindings for a "package list"

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: guix.el: Key bindings for a "package list"
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:37:28 +0400

Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer (2014-09-05 13:11 +0400) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would like to know people's opinions about default key bindings.
>
> Might be nice to be consistent with the package-menu-mode (M-x
> list-packages) interface:
>
> U               package-menu-mark-upgrades
> d               package-menu-mark-delete
> i               package-menu-mark-install
> u               package-menu-mark-unmark
> x               package-menu-execute
> ~               package-menu-mark-obsolete-for-deletion
> DEL             package-menu-backup-unmark
>
> It's noteworthy that there is no command to mark a single package for
> upgrading.  (And no, simply installing the new version doesn't seem to
> delete the old.)  Perhaps C-u U could mark a single package for upgrade.

I tried to be consistent with that but as you noted there is no way to
mark a single package for upgrading there.  Also there is no key binding
for unmarking everything and no such thing as "general mark".  In
“guix.el” you can mark several packages with "m" and then press "RET" to
describe those.

> By the way, I remember finding that interface to be frustrating, but I
> don't remember the exact reasons right now.  It might in fact be related
> to there not being a command to mark a single package for upgrade.
> Perhaps we could make U mark a single package and C-u U all, as a single
> point of divergence from package menu mode.

I like this variant, but I have a question here.  I'll ask it in a reply
to Ludo's message.

> One more thought: if package-menu-mode is sufficiently generalized,
> guix.el could just use that.

Originally “package.el” wasn't generalized.  But when it became a part
of Emacs, “tabulated-list.el” was extracted from it and now
tabulated-list is required by “package.el”.  “guix.el” uses
tabulated-list as well.  There is no way to use package-menu directly as
it is too specific for Emacs packages tasks.

--
Alex