guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:30:10 +0300

Andreas Enge (2014-10-30 15:38 +0300) wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 03:31:15PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
>> I think the latter is a bug.  IMHO it shouldn't be possible to install
>> several packages with the same name in one profile.
>
> Well, having python 2 and 3 is reasonable, and from what I saw in their
> naming scheme, it is entirely possible (the python binary being renamed
> to python 3). Qt 4 and 5 are, I think, another case. How about GTK+ 2 and 3?
>
> Of course we could rename the packages, but this is not our policy so far.

Actually I thought it was the policy.  I asked about that: search for
"intended" at
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-08/msg00047.html>.

Such behavior is handled by ‘manifest-add’ currently.  Before that this
code was placed in “guix/scripts/package.scm” and it was there for a
I-don't-know-how-long time.

--
Alex