guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Ian Denhardt
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:05:41 -0400

Quoting Alex Kost (2014-10-30 03:27:59)
> As both python packages can co-exist in one profile, either python-2…
> may be renamed into “python2” or python-3… into “python3”.  As python3
> is the future, I think it would be better to have “python2” and “python”
> (which is python3) packages.  Or maybe they shouldn't be renamed and we
> can introduce a little collision instead by adding "…/bin/python"
> symlink to python-3… package.

Speaking as someone who's been on a distro that has python 3 as the
default since 2.7 came out, and being a professional python developer
working on codebases that often don't work on python 3, I don't really
consider this a sensible default. I often have a symlink ahead of the
system python binary in my path that points to python2. More
importantly, I think it should be tunable. I *do* sometimes make use of
having both available.

-Ian