guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 12:28:21 -0200

Em Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:40:48 -0500
Felipe López <address@hidden> escreveu:

> I still think that calling the Guix distro "GNU" would have been
> better, and I don't see how calling it "Guixotic - the reference
> distribution of GNU" is any different from calling it "GNU", since
> saying "the reference distro" implies the same issues RMS and others
> saw in calling the distro "GNU".

I agree.  In fact calling it "GNU's reference distribution" could even
worsen the problems seen by RMS, because of the explicit goal
attributed to the distribution of being used as a canonical template.
To me the purpose of the GNU project is more ethical and symbolic than
technical: to provide the mythical --- entirely free --- GNU system
and not necessarily to make a distribution for technical reference.
IMHO, the GNU project is missing the point.

Needless to say, I'll continue to call it simply "GNU".  I invite
everyone else to do the same.  Given that the GNU+Linux operating
system has gotten the wrong name "Linux" by habit and popularity,
maybe we could make "Guixotic" (or whatever) get the right name "GNU"
by a similar practice.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.