guix-devel

Re: A couple roadblocks using guix

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:02:01 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Omar Radwan wrote:

I'm trying to install guix on my laptop(finally got the thinkpenguin wifi
card), after reading through the manual, I have everything setup, except
there are a couple bumps on the road.

One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system
networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed
to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S"
("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart
networking every reboot.

Are you sure you included a proper module(s)?
(use-modules (gnu)
             (gnu services ssh)
             (gnu services networking)
             (gnu services xorg)
             )

(btw use guix system reconfigure /config.scm if you have already installed system)

Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X
session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed
in the application menu and are not runnable, and I would think it has
something to do with user permissions, but an X session in root also
doesn't let me run them.

This I experince too. In my opinion the reason is, that applications are installed per user and the path to them is just in your ~/.guix-profile/. I am not sure how WM searches for them, but definitely not in ~/.guix-profile, but I am not sure about this.

The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
from Debian).

That last peeve is really just a missing feature, I do understand that it
will take some time to implement and I'm not really demanding it, just
extremely recommending it. But the first 2 are definitely problems that I
really hope someone could help me with.

Adam Pribyl