guix-devel

Re: Package List on Web Site

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Package List on Web Site
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 17:49:54 +0100

     John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

http://gnu.org/s/guix/package-list.html is now
     > over 1.5 MB in size and is startign to take an unacceptably long time to
load (at
     > least for me).

     I think it???s rendering that takes time, not transfer per se (unless you
     have a very slow connection.)

You may well be right.  But I think that 1.5MB is *way*  too large for a single
web page.
I'm relatively well connected but there are people in the world who still use
56kps internet
connections.

     I would like it to use David???s guix-web JS code to add the search box
     and multiple-page split.  I suspect this would address the rendering
     time and usability issues.  But of course, that would need help from
     someone knowledgeable...  :-)

Artanis is another possible tool that might help, but I don't know much about
it either.

     It would be ideal if this were done in a ???progressive enhancement???
     fashion, such that it can still be viewed in emacs-w3m.

It certainly should be viewable with w3m, and with links, yes.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3